Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lampwork, and some other things

To start with some other things:

As I have now started selling fresh water pearls that I meant to keep I'll order more of those, probably sooner rather than later.

I will be bringing in some Swarovski crystals in AB2X rather pastelly colors that aren't really my colors (or coatings), but as they are wanted here by somebody I'll be bringing them in. For all I know they aren't otherwise available in Hilo.

Some of my earrings and eyelash scrunchies (for now, this may very well expand) are now available from Adah Glasser at the Hilo Farmer's Market on Saturdays, later in the morning and well into the afternoon. she's at the mauka end, Puna side of Mamo Street, fairly close to Ratana (of Ratana's Green Papaya Salad, which is pretty good, so, OK, and Ratana doesn't know I'm writing this: it is great!, and so are her summer rolls (have to be rather early to get any) and the chicken pumpkin curry) - that's all I tried so far.)

A lady who got Job's Tears from me started posting some advice on how to make jewelry with them, and probably will probably post some more jewelry making advice in general. We never met in person (yet), but I learned (quite) a few things from her.

I'm not going to get heavily into yarn selling or making a lot of things with eyelash yarn, but I found an offer that was just too good to refuse for any eyelash yarn I can think of having use for right now: I now have 150+ skeins of eyelash yarn, mostly in primary colors but some fun stuff too. Willing to sell at about Ebay level - some colors more likely than others.


Now to lampwork:
I'm an almost complete novice to lampwork, I made one bead before that's hanging from my cell phone, in the studio of Kalera Stratton under her supervision and with her advice. Yesterday and today I took a beginning lampwork class from Eva Anderson here in Hilo.
I find this highly addictive and at the same time with my almost complete lack of fine motor control quite challenging. Knowing some physics most certainly helps ...
But, 2 of the 4 beads I made yesterday broke after going into the kiln. As they didn't shatter completely it may be possible to glue them back together. I hope today's beads fare better. I find this highly addictive (applied physics taken together with my fine motor control challenge. It's got to be possible to get past the latter), so at some point I'll most certainly get back to lampwork.

I'll post pictures when I can, my 'light tent' depends on sunlight, and there isn't a whole lot of that right now.

No comments: